Sunday 12 January 2014

Candles and keeping warm hearted




I refuse to be down or deprived in January - a very slow move back into the normal routine is so much easier for the spirit than feeling the weight of new resolutions on your shoulders or total abstinence. I am brightening up our home with candles and with warming food and drink. 

Warming my heart and spirit is Beth Kirby's writing on Local Milk - her beautiful pictures and evocative writing are a constant source of inspiration. There is a mindfulness of the seasons, a care for the past as well as hope for the future in her writing that chimes with my own thoughts and feelings. Her aesthetic is at once so new and fresh but forever ancient - her current post on her 'heart of winter' is just exceptional. Take a look if you don't know her work already, and I am certainly going to be making the hot buttered cider soon.......


6 comments:

  1. I agree her blog is one of my favorites! Her pictures and words are so very beautifully entwined :)

    Janet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear of another Local Milk fan! Hello to you, jx

      Delete
  2. I've been using candles a lot this year, the make such a difference. Your blog is one of the ones I always find positivity in when the world gets to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for that- I am always amazed that people read what I write. I love that you visit here, thank you jx

      Delete
  3. I agree, January is not the month for abstinence, it's the month for being kind to yourself. It's nearly over now, anyway.

    Thanks for sharing Local Milk. I hadn't heard of it and I've just had a look - what a lovely blog. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Gillian, it's always so lovely to hear from you. Thanks for commenting and roll on Feb! Jx

    ReplyDelete

It is always amazing to know you read and comment - so thank you very much.